This delicious salad covers several food groups in one little jar. I love how pretty it looks, and it tastes so good even the kids love it. It’s a great way to bring a salad to school, work, or on a picnic. Putting the dressing at the bottom of the jar keeps it away from the lettuce at the top so it doesn’t get soggy. You just shake it up when you’re ready to eat.
Ingredients for the Dressing:
1 tbs. lemon juice
1 tbs. lime juice
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tbs. honey
½ tsp. salt
Contents of the Salad:
1 cup carrot, sliced
1 cup red pepper, chopped
2/3 cup blueberries
4 hard-boiled eggs, cooled and chopped
1 cup croutons, cooled
2 cups lettuce, chopped
To make the croutons:
2 slices of whole grain bread (wheat bread or gluten-free bread)
2 tsp. olive oil
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. paprika
To Make the Croutons:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut the bread into small, bite-sized cubes and place them in a medium bowl.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika.
4. Pour the contents of the small bowl over the bread cubes and stir to coat evenly.
5. Spread the bread cubes in an 8 x 8 inch pan and bake for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Assembling the Salad:
1. You will need four pint-sized mason jars to hold the salads.
2. In the bottom of each jar, place 1/4 of the dressing.
3. On top of the dressing in each jar, place 1/4 cup of carrots, followed by 1/4 cup of red peppers, then 1/4 of the blueberries, then one chopped hard-boiled egg, then 1/4 cup of croutons, and finally 1/2 cup of lettuce on top.
4. Place the lids on the jars and store in the refrigerator.
5. To serve the salad, shake the jar so the dressing is well-distributed and the contents are mixed.